Monastery of Varlaam
It was founded in 1518 by the two brothers Theofanis & Nektarios. It took its name from the ascetic Varlaam who first lived in the rock where the monastery is built. The Catholicon, dedicated to all Saints, was built in 1541. It was decorated with frescoes in 1548 by the famous artist Katelanos. The monastery houses reliquaries, icons, gold-embroidered epitaphs & a rich collection of manuscripts. The parchment Gospel regarded as the personal holly book of the Emperor Konstantinos the Porfyrogenitos.